Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Some Days

Getting out the door with two kids in the morning often feels like I am wading upstream in chest deep water as a band of wild monkeys pelt me with random objects, attempting to thwart my forward progress.

Some days no matter how early I get up, or how organized I think I am, there is some unforeseen treat around the corner, waiting to spring until my keys are in hand & the herding attempts have begun.  Usually it is something minor... a potty request, a missing shoe or my own procrastinating nature rearing it's ugly head.

But some days...

... some days it seems everything conspires to keep us from being on time for our destination.

On a recent school-day morning, after successfully wrestling dressing Quinn, I rounded the corner with clothes in hand, looking for Remy.  And this is what I found...


The little stinker found our previous night's art activity, these cool large-handled stamps & ink-pads in blue & green, which I mistakenly thought were safely stowed high up & out of reach, and decided he didn't need no stinkin' paper.... his body would be a marvelous canvas.
On the time-out bench... wondering why Mommy is laughing & crying at the same time...
Proud of his beautiful art project...
Time out is no fun.

This is what happens when I try to unload the dishwasher...




Or do a load of laundry...
For those of you who have been to my house & know that the living room often looks like this, you need to know that just 5 minutes before it was all put-away, the floor ready for vacuuming.

I am never bored.

Emergency baths & shake-down pickup sessions before company comes are regular events around here.  At least most everything in my life is washable.

But if I am ever late to meet you... please know it was not out of disrespect or poor planning... it was probably those little wild monkeys up to no good.

1 comment:

K. Hernandez said...

Much empathy coming from over here! The other day I called Santiago and his little buddy upstairs to have their lunch and they both arrived at the table with new haircuts. Now they have matching buzz cuts...yeah, some days!