Monday, September 6, 2010

In & out of the Mother-Hood

One of the biggest challenges for me since having kids is the struggle to find balance. It is not always possible to find more than just a fleeting moment for myself with two little creatures who require such attention & daily care. I can see how dangerously easy it would be to forget who I was before these two little monkeys rocked my world. To wake up one day & wonder where "I" went.

Thankfully there are occasionally times like this past weekend... when husband heads out of town, the boys go to camp Grandma & I get to be just me. (Well, almost just me... Dewey dog was around to keep me grounded.) I had a lot of time to think about how to find that elusive balance. Allowing the different sides of who-I-am to co-exist happily... wife/mother/self. Have decided to attempt thinking of it as a liquid thing rather than a solid. Something that can flow easily between each part of who I am & not be so clearly divided into pieces. Finding those moments of 'self' where I can, & yet still being fully present as a mother. (Sounds good in theory doesn't it?)

Being a realist, I am practical enough to know that the "perfect" balance simply does not exist... but I am grateful to have the luxury of striving for it. Having a few days on my own to spend with friends at grown-up dinners, tackling projects & napping if I wanted to was such a gift. A big thank you to the Grandmas for making this possible!

Thank you also to Honey for my fabulous birthday dinner. True friends are such a rare & wonderful thing.
Yesterday afternoon I headed up to get my two little guys.



Remy playing "pirate" using an ice-cream cone as his telescope...
Silly Remy...
One of the boys favorite activities at camp Grandmas is to gather the eggs in the morning...



One of my new favorite things is the hipstamatic ap on my iphone... makes these cool old-fashiony kind of pictures...

The Grandmas made one of Remy's wishes come true... he loves this snowman that usually only makes an appearance in December... so they put it up for him. Now he wants to know when Santa will be here.




Happy to be back in the mother-hood.
Now we await the safe-return of Daddy-O.

2 comments:

Honey said...

Presence is a fabulous alternative to balance and you, my sweet friend, are one of the most lovely, present people I know. Loved catching up with you. Beautiful photos of the boys. Soon xo

Life with Kaishon said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I am so glad that you had a nice few moments of me time : ) Well, Me and the Dog time : ) Your kids are SO cute. I love how adorable they are. They always make me smile. I totally want that app for my phone! Cool as can be!