Friday, June 11, 2010

To Quinnlan on his 4th Birthday

My dearest Quinn - oh how magic you are!

Four short years ago you made me a mother. I had no idea what that meant at the time. You have taught me more about love and life and being human in those four years than I ever learned in the previous 36 I lived before you. I am grateful every day that I get to be your Mama.

I can not quite believe what a big boy you are becoming. Tall enough to *almost* reach the snack cupboard. Big enough to brush your own teeth & after a "tap, tap" on the edge of the sink put your toothbrush away in the cup. Clever enough to get your way *almost* all of the time. Oh how I love your rascally-ways!

I love how tightly your little arms wrap around my neck when you hug me. How you run into my arms when I pick you up from school.

I love how you bring out the best in people. How even crusty tattooed Hell's Angels stop to talk and smile with you. I love that you have taught me the true meaning of not judging books by their covers.

I love how passionately you enjoy your books. How you will sit and read them and stack them and, yes, occasionally throw them.

I love how your little sandy-haired head still fits just perfectly under my chin just like when you were a bald-headed baby.

I love how protective you are of your little brother... even if sometimes I have to scold you for tackling some kid at the park who may have slighted him.

I love how happy the water makes you. I so look forward to teaching you the super-power of learning how to swim.

I love the sound of your giggle... oh your beautiful infectious laugh... the most gorgeous sound in the world.
And I love that your favorite color is orange.
My beautiful boy, today we celebrate you!

I have so many wishes for you... so many hopes and dreams... but the biggest of all is that you know, every-single-day, how very much you are loved.

Happy 4th birthday my magic-boy!
xo
Mommy

2 comments:

Candice said...

Awww, happy birthday Quinlan. I love this post!! Both your boys are adorable and look so happy and full of life!! :)

larajanepark said...

Beautifully put! The kids are all such a blessing...we are lucky mamas.