Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Searching for Summer


Summer.
It must be around here somewhere. Even though my calendar says it is the end of May, we have had weeks on end of cold & clouds & wind.
Silly summer... where are you?

Growing up in Alaska, the arrival of warm weather & the sun causes an actual physiological shift. The first afternoon you can walk home from school without a coat, or that first bike ride after months of snow & ice, or playing outside in daylight past 9pm... these things would mark the beginning of summer for me. I swear you could actually feel every cell in your body pop & tingle waking up from hibernation. Living up there I gained a real appreciation for the arrival of sunshine. Summer meant freedom, endless possibilities, bare-feet. Some of my favorite summertime memories from childhood... catching minnows with my brother at Quartz creek & laying them out on the warm rocks like we were natives drying our salmon. Trips to the mid-west where we caught fireflies, watched barges go by on the banks of the Mississippi & ate just-picked sweet corn dripping with butter. The smell of chlorine hair and feeling of taut sun-kissed skin while sitting at the DQ eating peanut buster parfaits until our bellies ached. Or one of my all-time favorites... the canoe trip where we found an abandoned litter of puppies with their mama dog & got to take them ALL back to my Aunt & Uncle's farm. (Thank you Barb & Jeff!)

This summer we are dreaming of lazy days at the pool and lemonade and most of all... sunshine. We have plans, big plans, to PLAY this summer. Open-ended days with zoo visits to watch the elephants, bubble blowing & chalk drawing on the front porch and home-made popsicles dripping down our chins. The start of potty training two little boys who, in warm weather, can run around as naked as the day I met them. Evening outdoor concert dates with bare arms & legs & no need of a sweater.
This is what we are waiting for.

In the meantime... we are practicing wearing sunglasses...

Abandoning highchairs to sit at the big boy's table...

Making pizza with Daddy when he surprises us by coming home early from work...



Wearing our spaghetti draped over our ears... silly kid...

And doing outdoor fairs in the cold & wind...




I set up the show on my own, well sort-of on my own... our neighbor drove the truck & provided much-needed muscle. (Thanks Scott!) It is the first time I have done a show without William since I was pregnant with Quinn... four years ago. Aside from mildly annoying weather, it went pretty well. Good to know I can still put it all together!

Another gray day awaits... have decided to embrace it & bundle up two boys & a lazy dog for a puddle walk.
Dreaming of sunshine...

2 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

Your booth looks beautiful! I am sorry it is still windy and cold where you are. I live in Pennsylvania and it has been SO hot! ICK! : )

I am visiting via your blog comment at Enjoying the Small things. I always like to say hi to a few people in front of me there. Anyone that is a reader of hers has to be a super sweet person and I just know I would like them : )

Lisa said...

KT --- I think it's time to go searching for more puppies!! Hope we can all get together before too much more time passes. Love you bunches, CC